Saturday 17 November 2012

I slept in a terminus the first time I came to Lagos –Gloria Ziregbe, former Miss Tourism Nigeria


Gloria Ziregbe, former Miss Tourism NigeriaGloria Ziregbe, former Miss Tourism Nigeria

Former Miss Delta and Miss Tourism Nigeria, Gloria Ziregbe, aka Giomanni, tells’NONYE BEN-NWANKWO why she decided to become a musician
The name Giomanni
My real name is Gloria. But I just didn’t want to use that name on stage. I wanted something with hype. My real name sounds so ordinary. I wanted a name that would make people wonder where I come from.
Music career
I have been singing since I was 12 years old. I actually wanted to become a musician at that age, but my mum wasn’t comfortable with that. You know how parents perceived musicians back then. It is no longer so these days. My mum has come to accept that this is what I want to do. I started writing songs at age 12. I was writing gospel songs. Music is my life. Music is my career. This is just the beginning of my career. It is not that I have veered into secular music; I would still do gospel music. I plan to produce gospel music that could be played in clubs; I have not heard any gospel song being played in the club. I have a new single now called Break It. I am actually a pop/neo soul artiste.
Becoming a beauty queen
I got to Lagos in 2004 and I didn’t know anywhere. I stayed with my uncle. He asked me if I would love to go and watch a movie at the Silverbird Cinemas. I agreed, got to the cinema and one guy that I met at the entrance asked me if I came there to pick up the form. I asked him what the form was for. He said it was for the Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria pageant. As at then, I had never heard about such pageant before. I was living in Warri then. I had heard about Miss Nigeria and I had thought it was the winner of Miss Nigeria that usually represented Nigeria at the Miss World competition; I didn’t know it was MBGN. I was just 17 years old then. I had just completed secondary school. He told me that I looked like somebody who could participate in the pageant. I told him that I would go upstairs and find out more about the form he spoke about. On getting there, I found out the form was N7,000 and that was very expensive for me at that time. So, I returned to my uncle and told him about it and he said that I should enter for the pageant since I had the required qualities. I went back, got the form and went for the auditions. Getting there, I met over 300 girls. Fortunately, I was among the 36 girls that were picked for the grand finale. At that time, I was very naive and inexperienced. It was after that event that I contested for Miss Delta and won. After I handed over the crown at the expiration of my term, I yearned for something bigger. I wanted to grow in the pageant world, and I ended up becoming Miss Tourism Nigeria. That is okay for me. I don’t intend to take part in any more beauty pageant. I am even too old for it now.
Losing my father
My father died on Feb. 14, 2004. I am from a polygamous family. My father married seven women. He was an Urhobo man. He was a chief and so, having many wives was seen as a great feat. But I don’t think that is still happening today. When he died, things weren’t the same. You know what happens when a polygamist dies. When he died, I decided that I was going to look for greener pastures. I didn’t want to fight over anything. So I decided to go to Lagos and look for my uncle. I didn’t have a cell-phone then, so when I got to Lagos, I had to call my uncle from a pay phone, but he didn’t pick his call. Consequently, he didn’t come to pick me from the terminus; so I didn’t have anywhere to go but had to sleep in the terminus. The next morning, my uncle came to look for me. He was scared. He said he thought I had the address. Life hasn’t always been a bed of roses for me. I started taking care of myself at the age of 17. My mum had to take care of my siblings. Now, I live in Atlanta.
Growing up
I wouldn’t say my dad was rich. I don’t want to be boastful. He lived a comfortable life within his means. He loved us equally. He provided for us; although we weren’t living with him. We lived with our mother, but my dad visited us once in a while. I don’t have any bad memories about my childhood. I only have good memories. My mum had a tough time when my father died. But now, everything is settled.
Going to London
I went to London after Miss Tourism Nigeria. Becoming Miss Delta opened doors for me. I was ready to travel out then and the contests opened doors of opportunities for me. It was from London that I left for America.
Studying architecture
I studied architecture and I am not leaving it to face music. Both careers have to do with imagination. It is imagination at work when one wants to draw a plan for a building. Music is also imagination-based. I love bringing things to life. My imagination is dynamic. Whenever I see an empty land, I always think of what it could turn out to be. I will improve on my profession as an architect, while I do music. When I am old and I don’t have anything doing, I know I will have something I can always fall back on.
Competition in music
I am not into music to compete with anybody. I think the sky is big enough for birds to fly without collision. I have a unique style and other female artistes have theirs too. I am just going to do my best and wait for luck from God to shine on me. When that happens, no man can do anything about it.
My genre of music
I am trying to break that barrier of having the Nigerian flavour in every song. Granted that Nigeria is an English-speaking country, but we have other languages. My music has some African flavour in it. I am in Nigeria to work on my music and to promote it. Whenever I am invited to a show, I will be home. My album, In Your Faze, will be made public very soon.
Marriage
Unfortunately, I don’t have a boyfriend now. I wish I had. I am looking for a boyfriend. Please, the guys out there should send their profiles. I have not seen any male admirer. In fact, I have received more attention from the female folks. Girls are taking over now.
My aspiration
I intend to do more for charity with my music. I also would want to own a label. I want to encourage up-and-coming artistes. Those are my biggest dream for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment